Monday 10 September 2012

I took a shower and all the black dye washed out of my hair... and

I had to learn how to work black rinse dye or semi-permanent dye, because that had to get sorted out before school tomorrow. Or, y'know, fire ketch fowl batty. Me being the fowl, my bleached hair being the batty and the disciplinary committee being the fiyah.

Today was the very first day of sixth form. And as such, there was an orientation session which is commonly referred to as "grubbin'".

Basically, it's the upper sixth formers or 6A students, humiliating the lower sixth formers (or upper fifth, as we were called by some clever super senior) or 6B students. They give you a crappy name, they make you yell mean stuff about yourself, partake in menial tasks which make you appear as though you're retarded- such as counting grains of sand like this: "One sand... two sand sand... three sand sand sand..." and so on and so forth.

But it DOESN'T have to suck for you.

Here is what I'd recommend to any potential grubs: Fix your attitude.

Sounds simple, huh?

Because it is.

What grubbing exists to do is to level the playing field by making everybody equals. If you go into grubbing thinking that you're too good to be humiliated, then you're gonna get it. If you go in there and segregate yourself or refuse to exit your bubble of comfort... you're gonna get it baaaad.

So open your mind to do doing silly stupid stuff, calling the seniors stupidness like 'Super amazing super senior high excellency the super' or trying to blow out the Sun or kissing a yellow balloon with a sad face drawn on until it smiles; i.e., until they tell you that you look stupid enough and pass you onto another to be grubbed.

Here's the trick though- IT ENDS. Grubbing was a good two hours, maybe. If suh much. It didn't go on forever either. Time flew by. And now it's over. We've earned our places and next year, we get to do it to the next batch. It's supposed to be embarrassing. But it's not supposed to be bullying or harassment. Just some good ole humbling fun. Also, note, they're not allowed to touch you, they have to plan in advance and write it all down and present to the supervisors (nothing can be done to you unless it has the go ahead from the supervisors) and it is completely supervised by teachers. They can't make you do anything religious, sexual, degrading, can't make you eat anything, etc. 

But let it be said that I got off hella easy. I held an umbrella and fanned a super senior for most of the grubbing session. He came to be my hero. And he was ridiculously cute. And the other U6ers, for whatever reason, did not give me the hell I had anticipated simply because I kept my little smart mouth shut (or tried my hardest to- a few snide remarks mighta slipped out).

All in all, it was a decent experience.

Except that the Dean of Discipline thinks my granny uniform skirt is way too short and I am now being faced with the choice of lengthening it for tomorrow, not going to school until it is longer... or taking the one day's suspension like a man.

I think I might just sit tomorrow out. I mean, who needs to meet their teachers and get their schedule sorted out and learn? ...right?

Yours screwed-ly,
me.

No comments:

Post a Comment